|ESPN.com: Boxing||[Print without images]|
LAS VEGAS -- Former junior middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez knew ahead of time that he would not be able to make the 154-pound weight limit for Saturday night's showdown with Mexican countryman Alfredo Angulo at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, so an increase was negotiated ahead of Friday's weigh in.
According to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Angulo agreed to change the contract to 155 pounds. In addition, Alvarez, who is due to earn a minimum $1.25 million, agreed to pay Angulo and additional $100,000, raising his purse to $850,000.
Alvarez further agreed to a weight check on Saturday at which he cannot weigh more than 168 pounds at 6 p.m. ET.
At Friday's official weigh in, Alvarez was 155 pounds and Angulo, taking advantage of the heavier limit, was 154½ pounds.
If Alvarez misses the 168-pound limit on Saturday, the camps will have to make another deal or the Showtime PPV fight would be in jeopardy, according to sources involved in the fight.
"Both guys agreed to change the weight to 155," Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer said. "And the parties agreed to the 168 limit (on Saturday) and Angulo got extra money. If it would have been a title fight I think Canelo would have made 154. But it's not and everybody is happy with the arrangement that was made."
The Nevada State Athletic Commission announced the purses on Thursday but said that they had been adjusted based on the deal between the camps before Friday's weigh in.
"I think it was fair and the right thing. We were ready to make 154 pounds and they weren't," Mike Miller, Angulo's manager, told ESPN.com. "Make him pay in the pocketbook if you can't squeeze him in weight."
Alvarez is seeking to rebound from his first career loss, a one-sided clinic at the hands of pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. in their revenue record-breaking fight in September at the MGM Grand. Angulo is also looking to rebound from a defeat, a 10th-round knockout loss to Erislandy Lara in June.