|ESPN.com: Baseball||[Print without images]|
NEW YORK -- New York Mets catcher Travis d'Arnaud, who was struck on the top of the head with Alfonso Soriano's backswing in the ninth inning on Tuesday, has landed on the seven-day concussion disabled list.
Juan Centeno has been promoted from Triple-A Las Vegas to take d'Arnaud's spot. Centeno caught right-hander Jacob deGrom's major league debut on Thursday night against the New York Yankees at Citi Field.
Centeno and Anthony Recker will form the Mets' catching duo for the next week.
Because d'Arnaud already has sat out Wednesday's game, he will be eligible to return next Wednesday, for the second game of a series against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Citi Field.
"He's still feeling the effects," general manager Sandy Alderson said Thursday. "He stayed in the game [Tuesday] and there weren't any strong indications there was a problem that night. It was when he came back the next morning, he had some lingering effects. Then we began to exercise and those symptoms reemerged more strongly."
Manager Terry Collins said d'Arnaud setting up close to the plate may place him in more danger of getting struck with backswings, but also results in more strike calls.
"I've always said good catchers get under the hitter," Collins said. "And so they're susceptible to backswings. But the closer you are to the plate, you get strike calls. There's a grading system out there now that monitors catchers who get called strikes. He's at the top of the group."
Centeno, 24, hit .273 with one homer and 11 RBIs in 77 at-bats with Las Vegas.
Earlier in the day, the Mets officially promoted left-handed reliever Josh Edgin from Las Vegas. He replaces right-hander Kyle Farnsworth, who was outrighted off the roster late Wednesday.
Edgin gives the Mets a second southpaw in the bullpen alongside Scott Rice.