|ESPN.com: NFL||[Print without images]|
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Matt Schaub admitted he was let down by the Oakland Raiders' decision to bench him in favor of rookie Derek Carr before the season opener, but he has vowed to help the team in any way.
"I'm definitely disappointed, but it wouldn't do me or the team any good if I just stood here and felt sorry for myself," Schaub said Tuesday in his first comments since coach Dennis Allen announced his decision Monday to go with Carr, a big-armed second-round pick from Fresno State.
|"I'm definitely disappointed but it wouldn't do me or the team any good if I just stood here and felt sorry for myself," Matt Schaub said Tuesday.|
"Coach Allen told me it wasn't anything I did or didn't do," Schaub said.
Allen said Tuesday that the plan remains for Schaub to back up Carr on Sunday at the New York Jets. Schaub missed last week with minor elbow soreness. He said he is healthy enough to play Sunday if needed.
The Raiders acquired Schaub from Houston in March for a sixth-round pick. The Raiders gave Schaub $8 million in guaranteed money this season. Now, it will be as a backup.
Schaub said he was surprised when Allen told him the news during the weekend, but he wouldn't have approached training camp any differently if he knew he was in danger of losing his job before the season started.
"My job now is to help Derek in any way I can," Schaub said.
Carr -- the first rookie quarterback this year to be named a starter -- said Schaub has been a tremendous help all preseason and has continued to be since Carr was named the starter. Carr said he obviously is excited to get the chance to start, but his only focus all summer has been being a team player.
"All I care about is the Raiders winning," Carr said.
Carr said it is his job now to show the Raiders they made the right choice. He took a message from Oakland offensive coordinator Greg Olson to heart: "Don't let this moment be the best moment of your NFL career."