Print and Go Back ESPN.com: Baseball [Print without images]

Tuesday, December 16, 2003
Updated: December 17, 4:07 AM ET
Oakland re-signs Rincon

Associated Press

Oakland Athletics: The A's traded catcher Michael Barrett to the Chicago Cubs on Tuesday, a day after acquiring him from Montreal.

The A's will receive a player to be named from Chicago.

Also Tuesday, Oakland traded reliever Mike Neu to the Florida Marlins for pitcher Mark Redman and agreed to a two-year contract with reliever Ricardo Rincon. Rincon gets $1.75 million in 2004 and $1.9 million in 2005. The 33-year-old left-hander was 8-4 with a 3.25 ERA in 64 relief appearances last season.

Barrett was acquired from the Expos on Monday for a player to be named. He hit .208 with 10 home runs and 30 RBI in 70 games with Montreal during an injury-plagued year.

Barrett, who is 27, spent time on the disabled list last season with a right-hip flexor strain and a broken left-index finger.

Rincon's signing gives the A's six players under contract beyond the 2004 season, not including Jermaine Dye, whose deal includes a mutual option for 2005.

Oakland, the two-time defending AL West champion, still needs a catcher after the departure of All-Star Ramon Hernandez in a three-player trade with San Diego late last month that brought outfielder Mark Kotsay to the A's. Terrence Long also was dealt to the Padres in the swap.

Boston Red Sox: The Red Sox acquired infielder Mark Bellhorn from the Colorado Rockies for a player to be named.

Bellhorn, 29, is a career .230 hitter with 36 homers and 106 RBI in 371 games with Oakland, the Chicago Cubs and Colorado. He hit a career-best 27 homers with 56 RBI in 146 games with the Cubs in 2002.

Bellhorn played 51 games with the Cubs before being traded to Colorado on June 20. He hit a combined .221 with 10 doubles and 26 RBI in 99 games.

He became the first switch-hitter in National League history to homer from both sides of the plate in the same inning, accomplishing the feat for the Cubs at Milwaukee on Aug. 29.

Montreal Expos: A Bexar County, Texas, official said that he has been talking to investors about trying to bring the Expos to San Antonio but added that he thinks it is ``highly unlikely'' that it will occur.

Nelson Wolff, the chief elected official in Bexar County, said the only way the plan could work is in a shared agreement with Monterrey, Mexico, or some other city. Under such a plan, the National League team would play some of its games in Monterrey and some in San Antonio.

Wolff said he's not sure how feasible the plan is.

"Whether it's a viable thing or not I don't know," Wolff told The Associated Press on Tuesday night. "Baseball is going through some changes. I've talked to some people who are very capable of buying anything, and they expressed some interest. I think it's a highly unlikely event. I don't even know if baseball is even willing to do that."

He said San Antonio is about 10 to 15 years away from major league baseball on its own.

New York Yankees: A clerk magistrate has delayed for one day his decision on whether to issue charges against two Yankees who had an altercation with a Fenway Park groundskeeper during a playoff game.

Clerk Magistrate Michael Neighbors will issue his ruling Thursday in Roxbury District Court, said Bruce Brock, a spokesman for the state courts. Neighbors, who initially had scheduled the hearing for Wednesday, did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Boston police have said Yankees reliever Jeff Nelson and right fielder Karim Garcia assaulted Paul Williams, a part-time groundskeeper who teaches special education at a New Hampshire middle school, during the ninth inning of New York's 4-3 win in Game 3 of the AL Championship Series on Oct. 11.

Neighbors is also considering a cross-complaint filed by Nelson's lawyer seeking counter charges against Williams.