Print and Go Back College Football [Print without images]

Saturday, May 22, 2004
Rusher, receiver subjects of honor code review

Associated Press

PROVO, Utah -- Former Brigham Young running back Marcus Whalen and BYU wide receiver Breyon Jones have been charged with robbery, assault and making a false statement to police.

Whalen, 22, and Jones, 21, are suspected of beating up and taking cash from a mutual acquaintance named Yussufu Nsabimana during an April 14 argument over money.

Nsabimana, 34, a native of Burundi, claims he was attacked twice on April 14 after he, Whalen, Jones and another acquaintance had been drinking at a Provo bar and the men argued.

Police are treating third man as a witness, not as a suspect in the case.

The players were not arrested. Whalen and Jones each will receive a summons to appear before a judge at a future date, Utah County prosecutor Tim Taylor said.

BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins confirmed Friday that Whalen and Jones are subjects of an honor code review. BYU cannot discuss specific students who are involved in honor code reviews unless the student provides permission or the student faces criminal charges.

The university has decided to suspend Whalen until January 2005, according to a letter sent to Whalen, said his mother, Christina Whalen. She said Whalen filed an appeal on May 14.

Whalen has already withdrawn from BYU. But Jenkins said the university still classifies him as having ongoing status pending the completion of the honor code review process.

If the suspension stands, an obscure NCAA rule would leave the suspension in force at any member institution. If he can't play at any NCAA school next fall, his college football career is over.

Southern Utah University has admitted Whalen as a transfer student and he has enrolled for fall classes, his mother said.

Whalen played in nine BYU games after breaking his foot during warmups before the 2003 season opener against Georgia Tech last September. He logged 45 carries for 152 yards, and ran for a team-high 918 yards in 2002.

His career was interrupted in 2001 when BYU suspended the Maryland native after a shoplifting incident at a Utah County convenience store.

Jones, a junior from Round Rock, Texas, has been in the BYU program for three years. He redshirted in 2001 and saw limited action as a reserve receiver the past two seasons, never catching a pass.