Sunday, April 30, 2006
Martin out for rest of series vs. Clippers
ESPN.com news services
DENVER -- The Denver Nuggets said Sunday that forward Kenyon
Martin's suspension would last through the remainder of the team's
first-round series with the Los Angeles Clippers.
Martin's agent is expected to soon file a formal grievance against the Nuggets for suspending Martin indefinitely, ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported Saturday.
The Clippers lead the best-of-seven series 3-1, with Game 5
Monday night at the Staples Center.
Martin was suspended indefinitely last week after he got into an
argument with coach George Karl at halftime of Game 2, after which
he sat out the second half with a towel over his head.
Karl originally said the suspension would last at least through
Games 3-4 at the Pepsi Center in Denver.
A grievance likely can only recoup Martin's lost wages. Although he has received his entire $10.9 million salary this season, league rules stipulate that Martin would be docked $109,711 from next season's $12.1 million salary for every playoff game he misses through suspension if the grievance is unsuccessful.
Martin and agent Brian Dyke contend that Karl himself led them to believe that the ban would not last longer than a game or two. Martin then issued his public apology through the Nuggets' public-relations staff after the suspension was announced.
"He apologized to the coaches and he apologized to his teammates," Dyke told ESPN.com. "He admitted that what he did was wrong. But a first-round suspension ... I don't think a suspension of that magnitude is warranted."
Martin was limited to a career-low 56 games by his surgically
repaired left knee and was angry at not starting and then seeing
limited minutes in the playoffs.
Martin's playing days could be over in Denver although Karl has
expressed an interest in repairing his relationship with Martin,
who signed a seven-year, $93 million contract two years ago before
Karl came on board.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.