Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Phils' Myers placed on inactive list, optioned to minors
BALTIMORE -- Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Brett Myers was placed on the temporary inactive list Wednesday and optioned to Class A Clearwater, one day after asking for a leave of absence following his arrest on charges of hitting his wife in the face.
Myers, 5-3 with a 3.86 ERA, asked the Phillies for time off through the All-Star break so he could "concentrate on this matter and make plans for whatever assistance is appropriate."
He is not expected to pitch for Clearwater. The move was made so the Phillies could call up another pitcher and fill out their 25-man major-league roster.
Myers was arrested Friday in Boston and accused of striking his wife on a street not far from Fenway Park. He was freed after his wife posted $200 bail, and he faces an Aug. 4 court date on assault charges.
With the Phillies strapped for pitching, the team called up right-hander Adam Bernero from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Bernero first appeared in the big leagues with Detroit in 2000 and has also pitched for Colorado and Atlanta.
The 29-year-old Bernero started the 2006 season in the Kansas City Royals' organization. He was signed earlier this month by the Phillies and assigned to Triple-A.
Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said Bernero will start Friday in Toronto.
"I don't know much about him but that I saw him pitch last year in Atlanta," Manuel said.
The Phillies were criticized for allowing Myers to pitch against Boston on Saturday, less than 24 hours after he allegedly struck his wife.
Myers said after game he was sorry that the matter "had to go public."
Phillies general manager Pat Gillick said Friday the team would not take disciplinary action against Myers until the case is resolved and did not feel what happened was an embarrassment to the team.
But team president David Montgomery insisted Tuesday the Phillies are taking the situation seriously.
"We abhor such violence and recognize that it is a very serious problem affecting a substantial number of victims, particularly women, across the country," he said. "If we have been guilty of delay in expressing these sentiments, we are sorry."