|ESPN.com: ESPN||[Print without images]|
Hester was the fourth player to return the opening kickoff for a touchdown in an NFL postseason game. Only one of those four played for the winning team: Ron Dixon in a Giants' victory over the Eagles in January 2001. The other players on losing teams included Nat Moore of the Dolphins against the Raiders (1974) and Vic Washington of the 49ers against the Cowboys (1972).
• The Colts became the first team to win a Super Bowl by overcoming a deficit of more than seven points after doing so in their conference title game as well.
But Manning and Carson Palmer shared the NFL regular-season lead with 13 completions each that were caught at least 30 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Of quarterbacks with 20 such attempts this season, Manning led the NFL in completion percentage (41.9 percent) and passer rating (121.4).
• Manning was hit by Tank Johnson before throwing his TD pass to Wayne. Manning led the NFL with a 98.4 passer rating during the 2006 season when contacted by the defense before throwing the ball or while in the act of passing.
• Manning completed 97 passes during the 2006-07 postseason, by far the highest total in NFL history. The previous mark was 77 by Kurt Warner during the playoffs following the 1999 season.
• Manning is the latest in a long line of legendary quarterbacks who won Super Bowls at Miami. The previous Super Bowl-winning QBs there are all Hall of Famers: Bart Starr, Joe Namath, Johnny Unitas, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Steve Young and John Elway.
• Joseph Addai caught 10 passes for 66 yards for the Colts. The only other rookie with 10 or more receptions in an NFL postseason game was Chad Morton of the Saints in a loss to the Vikings in January 2001 (13 receptions for 106 yards).
• With his final extra-point conversion, Adam Vinatieri broke Terrell Davis's record for points scored in one postseason. Davis scored 48 points for the Broncos in the playoffs following the 1997 season.
• Thomas Jones gained 112 yards on 15 carries. Only two other players gained 100 or more yards rushing in a Super Bowl loss: Thurman Thomas (135 yards in Super Bowl XXV) and Tom Matte (116 in SB III).
• Colts WR Aaron Moorehead and his father Emery, a tight end on the 1985 Bears, are the first father and son to play for a winning team in a Super Bowl.
• Lue was the third player to beat the Nets at the buzzer in the last 12 days. Monta Ellis and Cuttino Mobley did so on consecutive nights two weeks ago (Jan. 24-25). Only one other team has lost at least three games at the buzzer for the entire season: the Jazz (4).