Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Camps roundup: Raiders tell Jordan to stay away
ESPN.com news services
RAIDERS TELL JORDAN TO STAY AWAY (3:32 p.m. ET)
For the second time in seven weeks, the Raiders have told running back LaMont Jordan to stay away from team activities.
Jordan's agent, Alvin Keels, said Wednesday he was informed by the team that the Raiders do not want his client to report to camp in Napa, Calif. The Raiders start training camp Thursday. Keels said he hopes the Raiders either release or trade his client immediately.
"I am just hoping for a quick resolution," Keels said. "I'd like for this thing to be resolved within the next 24 hours."
The Raiders kept Jordan away from their minicamp in the first week of June. They have been trying to trade him. Jordan visited Detroit recently, but a deal with the Lions does not appear imminent. Chicago, New Orleans and New England could have interest in Jordan if he becomes available.
Jordan has become expendable in Oakland amid a glut of running backs, including first-round draft choice Darren McFadden.
-- Bill Williamson, ESPN.comCHARGERS RELEASE WR PARKER (7:14 p.m. ET)
The Chargers released wide receiver Eric Parker, two days before their first full-squad practice.
The Chargers had been trying to trade Parker before veterans reported to camp Thursday night. Parker missed all of last season with a toe injury and became expendable after Chris Chambers was acquired in a midseason trade with Miami.
Parker caught 187 passes for 2,586 yards and 11 touchdowns in parts of five seasons for the Chargers. He injured his right big toe during a minicamp practice 13 months ago and underwent surgery last August to fix a cracked bone. He was expected to be healthy in October but the toe didn't respond and he missed the season.
First-round draft pick Antoine Cason missed his third consecutive day of rookie practices. Cason, a cornerback from Arizona, was the 27th pick overall.
-- The Associated PressBROWNS MISSING JURVEVICIUS, TUCKER (5:19 p.m. ET)
Wide receiver Joe Jurevicius and offensive lineman Ryan Tucker were placed on the active physically unable to perform list as the Browns opened training camp.
Jurevicius, who caught 50 passes -- 29 on third down -- last season, has had two operations on his right knee since the end of last season. His recovery took a major setback when he contracted a staph infection.
Browns general manager Phil Savage said the players can remain on the active list through the mandatory cutdown to 75 players. After that, if the team places an injured player on the list, he must miss the first six games of the regular season.
The 33-year-old Tucker broke his hip during minicamp in May and had surgery in June. He has made solid progress in his recovery, Savage said. Tucker played both right tackle and guard last season after being suspended for the first four games for violating the NFL's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances.
-- The Associated PressPORTIS OUT OF PRESEASON OPENER? (9:07 a.m. ET)
When the Redskins open the NFL preseason in the Hall of Fame game in Canton, Ohio, running back Clinton Portis is unlikely to be in their backfield.
According to the Washington Times, coach Jim Zorn said that Portis is unlikely to see against against the Colts on Aug. 3.
Portis didn't play in any of the Redskins' preseason games last season. In 2006, he separated his shoulder in the team's preseason opener.
GLENN SITUATION RESOLVED SOON? (9:03 a.m. ET)
Wide receiver Terry Glenn's standoff with the Cowboys reportedly will be resolved by the time the team reports to training camp on Thursday.
Sources told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that a solution will be in place by the time the Cowboys board their charter flight for Oxnard, Calif., and releasing Glenn remains an option.
Glenn, who has refused to sign an injury waiver, hasn't practiced with the Cowboys this offseason. If Glenn were to sign the waiver, his salary would be reduced from $1.74 million to $500,000 if he were to suffer a season-ending injury to his already damaged right knee.