Print and Go Back ESPN.com: Baseball [Print without images]

Thursday, December 25, 2008
Updated: December 26, 9:02 AM ET
Sosa still waiting for offer

ESPN.com news services

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Sammy Sosa is still waiting for an offer to play in the major leagues, according to a report published by Dominican newspaper Listin Diario.

Sammy Sosa

Sosa

Sosa, who previously had expressed his intention to retire from baseball after the next World Baseball Classic in March, believes he can still have an impact at the major league level.

"I still don't have an offer, and I shouldn't be looking for offers out there," said Sosa, the National League MVP in 1998 and the only hitter to surpass 60 or more homers in a season on three occasions. "Any team who wants to sign me should have the initiative and make an offer."

Sosa added that he's still in good physical shape in hopes of making a comeback to professional baseball.

"Those who saw me training know that I'm hitting the ball with the usual authority. I just hope to get the chance to prove that I'm still a threat," said Sosa at a charity event sponsored by his foundation.

The Dominican slugger did not play in the first edition of the WBC in 2006. That same year, the right fielder rejected a contract offer from the Washington Nationals.

The second edition of the WBC, with 16 countries in the field, will begin play in March. The Dominican Republic will play its first-round games in Puerto Rico.

Sosa, who turned 40 on Nov. 12, is a free agent who had 21 home runs and 92 RBIs in 114 games in 2007 with the Texas Rangers. Playing against the Cubs, his former team, Sosa became the fifth player in history to hit 600 home runs, following the path of Barry Bonds (762), Hank Aaron (755), Babe Ruth (714) and Willie Mays (660).

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.