Friday, January 2, 2009
Updated: January 4, 11:42 PM ET
Fantasy Predictions 2009: Free agency fails the Yankees
By Christopher Harris
What does 2009 hold in store for the world of fantasy sports? We surveyed our team of fantasy analysts and editors for the answers. Check out all twelve completed surveys by using the drop-down menu. (Some surveys were abridged to protect the innocent.)
But you wish to be referred to as:
You're a shameless, unabashed fan of:
My editor Pierre Becquey and his last-minute holiday deadlines.
But we shouldn't hold it against you because:
I used to live in Montreal, so I have a weakness for all things Canadian and last-minute and improperly grammatical.
Your fondest sports wish for 2009 is:
Terrell Owens spurns the Cowboys, plays for the Chiba Lotte Marines.
Why will this happen/not happen?
T.O. can't hit the curveball. Plus ESPN would have to open a Chiba outpost to cover Owens 24/7.
Any sport, who is your biggest sleeper pick for 2009?
How high would you reach for that sleeper in a standard ESPN draft?
I don't actually play much fantasy basketball these days. But I really like that name.
Which player are you buying into but is most likely to disappoint you?
Which player are you not buying but will likely disappoint everyone else?
Brad Penny will have lovers. I will not be one of them.
Any sport, who will be the best rookie to emerge in 2009?
Michael Crabtree of the Seattle Seahawks.
... but everyone is going to think it's going to be?
Who will be
the first player drafted in fantasy football leagues? Adrian Peterson
|If Chris Wells does enter the draft, he'll be the top running back which makes him valuable in fantasy.|
the player whom everyone will wish they had drafted? Adrian Peterson
the first player drafted in the NFL draft? Matt Stafford
the first rookie drafted in fantasy football leagues? Beanie Wells
the first player drafted in fantasy baseball leagues? Albert Pujols
the first pitcher? CC Sabathia
the first rookie? David Price
the player who'll start his season in Triple-A to everyone's frustration? Cameron Maybin
the NHL's top scorer? Evgeni Malkin
the NBA's MVP? LeBron James
the 2009 Sprint Cup champion? Carl Edwards
Fill in the blanks any which way you want to create 10 more predictions for 2009.
- In 2009, Barry Bonds will get the comeuppance he so richly deserves for, well, being him.
- There is no way that Chris Berman will allow Brett Favre to retire.
- Mark Teixeira and CC Sabathia will be this year's Jason Giambi, Mike Mussina, Alex Rodriguez, Johnny Damon, Gary Sheffield, Bobby Abreu, Randy Johnson, Carl Pavano, Jose Contreras, Javier Vazquez, Kevin Brown, Raul Mondesi and Kei Igawa.
- Brett Favre will have his subatomic particles covered 24/7 on ESPN's new offshoot "ESPN Molecular."
- If Tristan Cockcroft calls me out for dissing Brett Favre in my weekly fantasy football rankings one more time then I will continue to look smart.
- There will be 15 players who accidentally get nominated in our in-house ESPN fantasy baseball auction, despite the fact that they were already taken, like, two hours ago ...
- ... but only 14 players whom the accidental nominator will be abused for, because everyone forgets Raul Ibanez.
- Matthew Berry will continue to astound us with his impossible depth of knowledge of daytime TV and prime-time teen dramas.
- This is the year that I finally get fired.
- 2009 will forever be remembered as the year I finally got fired.
The Name Game
A-Rod or Hanley Ramirez? Ramirez
Tim Lincecum or Johan Santana? Santana
Evan Longoria or Garrett Atkins? Longoria
Chase Utley or Dustin Pedroia? Utley
Manny Ramirez or Mark Teixeira? Teixeira
Tom Brady or Peyton Manning? Brady
Michael Turner or LaDainian Tomlinson? Turner
Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson? Johnson
Antonio Bryant or Marques Colston? Colston
Brandon Jacobs or Marion Barber? Jacobs
DeAngelo Williams or Clinton Portis? Portis
Jimmie Johnson or Carl Edwards? Edwards
Kyle Busch or Jeff Gordon? Busch
Playing with Numbers
Francisco Rodriguez saves: 45
A.J. Burnett wins: 13
CC Sabathia 's ERA: 4.12
Yovani Gallardo wins and strikeouts: 13, 160
Manny Ramirez home runs and RBIs: 35, 100
Matt Holliday home runs and RBIs: 25, 110
Mark Teixeira home runs and RBIs: 37, 130
Jay Bruce batting average and home runs: .260, 30
Rafael Furcal average and steals: .280, 35
Rafael Furcal average and steals against the Braves: .000, 0
Adrian Peterson yards and touchdowns: 2,001, 15
Drew Brees yards and touchdowns: 4,600, 28
Tom Brady yards and touchdowns: 4,200, 28
Kurt Warner starts: 16 games
Braylon Edwards yards, touchdowns and drops: 1,001, 7, 13
Chad Ocho Cinco yards and touchdowns: 1,300, 8
Chad Ocho Cinco ridiculous statements: can't count that high
Speak now or forever hold your peace
What question do you wish you had been asked on this survey?
How do you continue to perform with such amazing accuracy and maintain your impeccable "Q-rating" at the same time?
And the answer is?
One box of red wine and 10 roofies per night.
What question are you glad you weren't asked?
Do you regret being so wise on the Adrian Peterson/LaDainian Tomlinson schism this summer?
Sucker! Now you have to answer.
I really do. Now when I roam the halls of Bristol, I have to put up with all those admiring whispers.