Saturday, April 11, 2009
Frozen Four: Title game quick hits
WASHINGTON -- Some facts and figures to digest prior to tonight's national championship game between No. 4 West Regional seed Miami and No. 1 overall seed Boston University (ESPNHD and ESPN360, 7 p.m. ET) at the Verizon Center:
Boston University (34-6-4)
• The Terriers have won four national championships (1971, 1972, 1978, 1995).
• BU is 4-5 all time in NCAA championship games.
• BU has outscored its opponents 15-8 in NCAA tournament play.
• The Terriers are 20-1-3 since Jan. 16 and are 16-0-2 in their past 18 games away from Agganis Arena.
• BU is 23-0-3 this season when sophomore Nick Bonino scores at least one point. He had an assist versus Vermont in a Frozen Four semifinal.
Miami University (23-12-5)
• First national championship appearance in any sport.
• Miami has the best winning percentage (.693) in Division I hockey over the past four seasons with a record of 106-43-14.
• The RedHawks have outscored their opponents 10-3 in NCAA tournament play.
• Miami is 1-1 all-time versus BU. The RedHawks lost to the Terriers 4-3 at the Badger Showdown on Dec. 28, 1992, and beat BU 5-1 at the Lefty McFadden Invitational on Oct. 8, 2004.
• The RedHawks are 6-1-1 this season when sophomore Tommy Wingels scores a goal. He had two goals and an assist versus Bemidji State. And they are 11-2-1 when Wingels scores at least one point.