Print and Go Back ESPN.com: Baseball [Print without images]

Saturday, September 5, 2009
Updated: September 6, 2:05 PM ET
Guillen says he's done for season

ESPN.com news services

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Royals outfielder Jose Guillen will miss the rest of the season because of a right knee injury.

Guillen
Guillen

"I won't play anymore for the rest of the season to recover well from the injury," Guillen told ESPNdeportes.com's Enrique Rojas Saturday on the phone from Kansas City.

"It's a team decision, I feel bad sitting down while my teammates are playing hard on the field," he added in a text message.

That was just the beginning of the bad news Saturday for the Royals, who have the worst record in the American League. Gil Meche and Brian Bannister will miss their next scheduled starts with right shoulder fatigue, and left-handed reliever John Bale is likely through for the season with a hamstring injury.

With right-hander Kyle Farnsworth also hurting, Kansas City promoted three pitchers from Triple-A Omaha.

The team purchased the contracts of left-hander Dusty Hughes and right-hander Victor Marte and recalled right-hander Carlos Rosa, the only one of the three who has big league experience -- and that was two relief appearances and 3 1-3 innings last year.

"We need arms," manager Trey Hillman said. "These guys have stuff and they are healthy. That's where we're at."

Farnsworth injured his back on an awkward throw to first base Friday.

Guillen sat out 37 games with a ligament tear in his knee, but was activated from the disabled list Tuesday. He struck out as a pinch hitter that day and was the starting designated hitter Wednesday, but left after only two at-bats with pain in his right hamstring.

"After reviewing Jose's situation, we are just going to shut him down for the rest of the year and give him an opportunity to get his body as healthy and strong as possible going into spring training next year," Hillman said. "He will not be playing any more ballgames this season."

The 33-year-old Guillen is in the second season of a $36 million, three-year contract, making him the highest paid position player in Royals history.

Guillen, who also was on the DL in April with a partial tear of his right hip flexor tendon, appeared in 81 games this year, hitting .242 with nine home runs and 40 RBIs.

"This is the best thing to do," Guillen said. "Nothing is wrong with the knee, but the smart thing is to rest it. I want to make sure I'm 100 percent for next year."

Hillman said Robinson Tejeda, who limited the Los Angeles Angels to one single in 5 1/3 scoreless innings Friday in his first start of the season, would start again in Meche's place.

Hillman also said lefty Bruce Chen, who is 1-6 with a 5.24 ERA in eight starts and six relief outings, would go back in the rotation, replacing Bannister.

It is uncertain whether Meche, who had an 8.14 ERA in four starts since coming off the disabled list Aug. 13 from a back injury, and Bannister, who left his Wednesday start after 1 1-3 innings with a sore shoulder at Oakland, will miss more starts.

"We will continue to evaluate it as we get more information," Hillman said.

Bale pulled his right hamstring after throwing only one pitch Friday in a 2-1 loss to the Angels. Hillman said it's a "good possibility" Bale is finished for the season.

"He's still having difficulty walking," Hillman said.

Second baseman Alberto Callaspo, who leads the Royals with a .295 average, was not in the lineup Saturday night against the Angels after fouling a pitch off his right ankle Friday.

Enrique Rojas is a reporter and columnist for ESPNdeportes.com and ESPN.com. The Associated Press contributed to this story.