Monday, March 1, 2010
This and that
By Dick Vitale
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• I was amazed to learn that the Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, Rhode Island did not add Nick Bollettieri to its illustrious inductees. For the second straight year, he was nominated for the Hall but passed over in the selection process. There is nobody who has contributed more to the game of tennis than Mr. Bollettieri. He has developed numerous champions, from Andre Agassi to Jim Courier to Monica Seles and on and on. He has helped so many that have gone on to the professional tour. Nick has helped many with his charitable contributions and generosity. It is absolutely sad, an injustice frankly, that he is not in that Hall of Fame. I don't understand the reason for it, but he definitely belongs in the Tennis Hall.
• Syracuse sent a message with a great win at home against Villanova. Remember when Jim Boeheim's team was picked sixth in the Big East preseason poll? Well now the Orange look like a lock for a number one seed in the Big Dance.
• Kansas and Kentucky were upset on the road over the weekend. I have said it many times, but it is very difficult to win on the road in conference play. Nonetheless, I still feel that the Jayhawks and Wildcats are in good shape to be No. 1 seeds in the big dance.
• I have heard a lot of people debating about Tim Tebow's mechanics. My friends, he is a winner and I truly believe he will make it in the NFL. I know some team will make a great move picking him in the draft.
• I am thrilled that Magic Johnson will be in attendance at the Dickie V gala on April 21st at the Sarasota Ritz-Carlton for the Jimmy V Foundation. Magic will be introducing one of the honorees, Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo. For more information on tickets, call 1-800-4-JIMMYV.
• Last weekend, I had a blast at Disney in Orlando participating at ESPN The Weekend. I had a great time on stage with Steve Spurrier and Bobby Valentine, and I love spending time with the fans.