Monday, May 3, 2010
Vitale's weekly stock watch
By Dick Vitale
• Floyd Mayweather Jr. beat Shane Mosley in a big-money fight in Las Vegas.
• Super Saver won the Kentucky Derby. It marked jockey Calvin Borel's third victory in four years at the Run for the Roses.
• The Cavaliers rallied to beat the Celtics in Game 1 of their series.
• Rory McIlroy shot a 62 in the final round at Quail Hollow. Pretty good for a golfer about to turn 21!
• Ryan Howard received a long-term contract extension from the Phillies.
• Barry Zito is off to a great start for the Giants.
• Tiger Woods (+9) missed the cut at Quail Hollow. His 36-hole score of 153 was the highest in his 14 years on the PGA Tour.
• The Red Sox were swept by the Orioles.
• Adalius Thomas was let go by the Patriots.
• The Washington Capitals, the top seed in the eastern conference, were knocked out in the opening round of the playoffs.
• Dwight Howard and Erick Dampier were fined $35,000 for criticizing officials.
• The Mavericks were upset by the Spurs.
• Roger Federer was upset by Ernests Gulbis of Latvia in his first clay court match of the year, a stunner in Rome.
• Tampa Bay's Dioner Navarro was suspended for two games for making contact with an umpire.