Monday, May 17, 2010
Cameron's return put on hold
By Gordon Edes
NEW YORK -- There will be no Mike Cameron sighting in the Big Apple, Red Sox manager Terry Francona said Monday.
The Red Sox outfielder, out since April 16 with an abdominal tear, remained in Boston after acknowledging to the team's medical staff he still has some tenderness in the area. Instead of being activated for the two-game series here against the Yankees, Cameron could remain on rehab assignment and play an additional game Wednesday in Portland for the Double-A Sea Dogs, according to Francona.
Cameron worked with a trainer on Monday at Fenway Park and is expected to do the same on Tuesday.
Francona said the hope is that they will be able to manage the injury in such a way that Cameron will not require surgery, though the outfielder told the Providence Journal last week that he expected to need surgery.
Gordon Edes is ESPNBoston.com's Red Sox reporter. He covered the Red Sox for 12 years and has reported on baseball for 25 years. Ask a question for his next mailbag here. Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.