Sunday, May 30, 2010
Conway's car goes airborne in crash
ESPN.com news services
INDIANAPOLIS -- IndyCar driver Mike Conway was flown to an Indianapolis hospital with a broken left leg following a horrific crash at the end of the Indy 500. He was expected to be hospitalized overnight.
Mike Conway went airborne, sideways and into the fence in a violent crash during the closing laps of Sunday's Indianapolis 500.
Conway was battling Ryan Hunter-Reay for position between Turns 3 and 4 when the two collided. The 26-year-old Englishman's No. 24 car flew up into the catch fence then fell back toward the track, nearly taking out defending champion Helio Castroneves.
The ensuing caution helped Dario Franchitti hold off Dan Wheldon for the win.
Hunter-Reay said he had run out of gas and had "nowhere to go." Earlier in the race, Hunter-Reay bumped Dixon in the pits. In that incident, Hunter-Reay said he tore ligaments in his right thumb and will have surgery on Monday.
"In hindsight we should have stopped for fuel," Hunter-Reay said. "It's dangerous. ... There's no runoff lane. There's no bailout procedure. You've got to slow down or you're going to hit the car in front of you."
Conway complained of a left leg injury following the wreck and was immediately taken to Methodist Hospital for evaluation. He was flown because of the heavy post-race traffic.
Conway, who led briefly in the later stages of the race, finished 19th.
Two fans were taken to the hospital and treated for minor injuries after being struck by debris from the last-lap wreck. One fan received stitches for a cut in his forehead, and another had a cut on his head that didn't need stitches.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.