Tuesday, June 1, 2010
This and that
By Dick Vitale
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• The show that Kobe Bryant put on in the last four minutes of Game 6 of the Western Conference finals is truly the stuff legends are made of! Watching the game, it was clear that he would not let the Lakers lose! That is the leadership of a champion. I think the finals will be exciting, but I look for Kobe and Pau Gasol to be too much for the Celtics. I'm going with the Lakers in six.
• Doc Rivers has done a superb job in his tenure with the Celtics. If I was Danny Ainge, I would sign him to long-term deal! Then again, it is possible that Doc will eventually want to spend time watching his sons play basketball in college.
• The LA Times revealed their top 10 Lakers and I agree with the call of Magic Johnson over Jerry West, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Kobe Bryant, and etc. Magic was such a special player. It is not easy to make that pick when you look at the talent over the years. Also throw in Wilt Chamberlain and Elgin Baylor: That is a pretty impressive super six!
• Excuse me ... does it look like the Red Sox are dead? A few weeks ago experts in the media were talking of their demise. Dead? Just ask the Rays, baby! I remember people burying David Ortiz in the beginning of the season. The word was that Papi's bat was slow; ask the AL pitchers what has happened in May!
• Since UConn is taking action and Nate Miles never played for the Huskies, look for the NCAA to place scholarship limitations! Two members of Jim Calhoun's staff already resigned.
• Phil Jackson has coached Michael the Magnificent, Kobe Bryant and Shaq. Imagine if he was ever to add LeBron to that list! He could then pen a book detailing who was No. 1. You never know: The King James rumors will continue to run rampant all summer long.
• Can you imagine what Bo Schembechler must be thinking with news of the NCAA violations hitting the Michigan football program? Like Bob Knight, Schembechler was a man of integrity! Michigan is tarnished now!
• I hope people took a moment for a toast to all those that made it possible to enjoy our freedoms on Memorial Day!
• I recently agreed to do a new children's books series -- the first ABC 's of Hoops comes out this October! I hope young fans really like it.