Monday, July 5, 2010
Sources: Jackson not on trade block
ESPN.com news services
The San Diego Chargers are not actively shopping receiver Vincent Jackson and are not interested in dealing him, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
Jackson, who according to a league source has been suspended three games for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, has refused to sign his tender as a restricted free agent and could sit out the first 10 games of the season. There's a possibility a suspension could coincide with his holdout.
The three-game suspension can be reduced upon appeal, but it is uncertain whether Jackson will appeal. He pleaded guilty in February to driving under the influence, his second conviction.
Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said last month that the team was preparing to play the 2010 season without Jackson or offensive tackle Marcus McNeill, who also didn't sign his tender.
"We lost a couple of great players ... and it hurts," Smith told the San Diego Union-Tribune last month after the players didn't sign their tenders before the deadline to do so. "We are trying to build a championship team, and losing the services of both Vincent and Marcus just made that more difficult -- but not impossible. In due time, Coach [Norv] Turner will name two new starters. We will rally as a team, compete and try to win as many games as we can."
As a result of the players not signing their tenders, the Chargers cut Jackson's salary from $3.268 million to $600,000 and McNeill's salary from $3.168 million to $583,000.
The Chargers, preparing for Jackson's absence, signed receiver Josh Reed earlier this offseason.
The 27-year-old Jackson had 1,167 receiving yards and nine touchdowns last season, his fifth with the Chargers.
Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press was used in this report.