Thursday, July 8, 2010
By Dick Vitale
Each week I'll talk about the sport I love, college basketball:
• It's a busy time for UConn fans. Jim Calhoun added one-time Husky star Kevin Ollie and former Penn head coach Glen Miller to his staff. Another former Husky standout, Donyell Marshall, hooked up with former UConn assistant and current George Washington coach Karl Hobbs.
• North Carolina State head coach Sidney Lowe should have a good year with the super combo of Tracy Smith and C.J. Leslie! This is a pivotal season ahead for Lowe. Some have him on the hot seat. It is not easy being on Tobacco Road opposite Duke and UNC, baby!
• A number of big-name undrafted college stars were on NBA summer league rosters & among them (at least scheduled to be on the roster when the summer league season opened): Jon Scheyer of Duke (Heat); Scottie Reynolds of Villanova (Suns); Samardo Samuels of Louisville (Bulls); Jerome Dyson of Connecticut (Cavaliers); Omar Samhan of St. Mary's (Mavericks); Edgar Sosa of Louisville (Pistons); Elijah Millsap of UAB (Pistons); Trevon Hughes of Wisconsin (Rockets); Ryan Wittman of Cornell (Knicks); Devan Downey of South Carolina (Kings) and Raymar Morgan of Michigan State (Wizards).
• Congrats to South Florida coach Stan Heath on a contract extension through 2015. Last season, his third at the school, Heath led the Bulls to USF's third 20-win season ever (20-13), and returned to the postseason for the first time since 2002.
• Duke diaper dandy Kyrie Irving showed why he has a bright future as he helped the USA under-18 team win the championship over Brazil. In the title game, Irving scored 21 points, grabbed 10 rebounds and dished five assists. The team was coached by former Dukie and current Oklahoma leader Jeff Capel.
• Georgia Tech's basketball program should receive a recruiting boost with a new arena in the future. This is a top-notch program under the leadership of Paul Hewitt.