Friday, July 23, 2010
Mangold won't be training-camp holdout
By Rich Cimini
There's one less headache for the New York Jets.
All-Pro center Nick Mangold has expressed frustration over the team's unwillingness to negotiate a contract extension, but he indicated Friday night that he's not planning a training-camp holdout.
"It doesn't seem to me to do any good to do it, so I'll be there with bells on," Mangold told the NFL Network.
The Jets report Aug. 1 to camp in Cortland, N.Y.
In last month's minicamp, Mangold hinted that he might be a no-show for training camp. He's entering the final year of a five-year contact, due to make $3.3 million. He's looking for long-term security, but the Jets have used the uncertain labor situation as the reason for not wanting to extend Mangold.
Linebacker David Harris, entering the final year of a four-year deal, is in a similar predicament. In his case, there have been no negotiations, according to a league source.
"It's disappointing right now where we're at, but it's one of those things you go through," Mangold said. "I'm professional, I've done everything the right way, and I'm going to continue to do that -- be there for my teammates and the coaches. And we'll see how it all plays out."
So far, the Jets have re-signed only one of the so-called "Core Four" -- left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who recently received a six-year, $60 million extension.
Now all the attention shifts to All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis, who is also seeking a long-term extension, but negotiations have reached an impasse. Revis has threatened a holdout, with sources saying he hasn't made up his mind on whether to report.
Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com. Follow him on Twitter.
More from ESPNNewYork.com »