Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Trojans grant release to LB Stanley
By Pedro Moura ESPNLosAngeles.com
The USC Trojans have released linebacker Glen Stanley from his signed letter of intent.
The Trojans had reportedly refused to grant Stanley the release upon his first request last month, with first-year coach Lane Kiffin telling reporters he expected him in fall camp once he had taken care of everything. But Stanley, a product of Eastern Arizona J.C., filed an appeal and hired an attorney, evidently changing the Trojans' stance on the topic.
Wednesday, Stanley got a response from USC senior associate athletic director Steve Lopes that said he had been released from his letter of intent with no further repercussions.
The news was first reported by ESPN's Joe Schad. A USC spokesman confirmed the report Wednesday afternoon.
"We're thankful for USC's decision in that regard," Stanley's attorney, Florida-based Shannon Ligon, said in a phone interview Wednesday. "Mr. Stanley's looking forward to moving forward not only with his athletic career but with his academic one."
Ligon said the matter was scheduled to go to a hearing before USC decided to issue the release Wednesday morning.
USC would have been the fifth school Stanley had attended in the past five years. He spent a season at Bowling Green, a year at a junior college in Arizona and had also committed to UCF and Tennessee at various points in his career.
"This is his final pit stop," Ligon said. "I expect it to be."
With Stanley's departure, the Trojans will have only one incoming player at the linebacker spot, Crenshaw High School product Hayes Pullard.
Pullard could redshirt, which would leave USC with seven scholarship players -- and only five lettermen -- for the three spots, an unusually low amount.
Pedro Moura is author of the USC blog on ESPNLosAngeles.com.