Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Roddy Beaubois ditches walking boot
By Jeff Caplan
DALLAS -- Rodrigue Beaubois is finally getting around without a walking boot for the first time in three months, but the Dallas Mavericks guard still won't return to the practice court for at least a few more weeks.
Beaubois, who broke his foot in early August while training with the French national team for the FIBA World Championships, was cleared to ditch the boot after a routine exam by Mavericks team physician Dr. T.O. Souryal.
"That's great for me. It's a big step," Beaubois said. "It's great to know it's getting better."
The second-year guard said he will now be examined every 10 days with hopes that each visit will clear him to increase his workload. For the moment, that workload is more or less walking.
"He's making progress. From here, we're going to continue to be very cautious with his rehab," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said. "But this is another positive step."
Carlisle said he has been given no timetable of how long before Beaubois can become a practice player and he acknowledged that it will still be some time before he's able to play in a game for the first time this season.
After suffering the injury in August, Beaubois returned to Dallas and had surgery to insert a pin into his foot. He tried to remove the boot more than a month ago, but he felt discomfort and had been back in the boot ever since.
"We're going to continue to err on the side of the caution," Carlisle said. "It will be awhile before he's back on the court in a uniform, but this is progress."
Jeff Caplan covers the Mavericks for ESPNDallas.com. You can follow him on Twitter.