|ESPN.com: Page 2||[Print without images]|
The Jeff Reed Era is over in Pittsburgh.
Reed has been quite terrible this year. He missed crucial kicks in the Steelers' first two losses of the season and hit the crossbar (!) on a 26-yard attempt in Sunday's loss to the Patriots. But he has also made many big kicks in his nine-year Pittsburgh career. He did well on the difficult Heinz Field turf, was perfect in each of the team's recent Super Bowl runs, and ranks second in career points in Steelers history.
I come not to bury Jeff Reed, but to praise him. Let's remember all the positive things about Mr. Reed, such as:
• In high school in Charlotte, N.C., Jeff Reed was a member of the National Honor Society. He was smart, bros!
• He was also a member of the Spanish National Honor Society. Me gusta dos chicas!
• In addition to kicking for his high school football team, Reed was a star soccer player and led his school to the state final. Heckuva job, Skippy!
• As a senior at North Carolina, he was a semifinalist for the Lou Groza award, but did not win. Did you not want a piece of this, voters?
• Reed also accomplished many other things, probably, although nothing that really will make anyone ever forget pictures like this.
Thanks for your years of service, Jeff. The Steelers and the Internet appreciate all you've done.