Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Vitale's wish list for Santa
By Dick Vitale
"Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus, right down basketball lane!"
Hey baby, I am in the holiday spirit! It is time to ask Santa to give out special gifts for all of those hoops junkies out there
• Santa, please give Duke's diaper dandy Kyrie Irving a quick and healthy return to the hardwood. We should be able to enjoy his talents on the court! Hopefully he will be back later this season.
• Please give some good news to John Calipari out at Kentucky. Let him have potential hoops star Enes Kanter win his NCAA appeal so he can debut a la Josh Selby. Kanter deserves a chance, baby!
• Santa, please help Kansas State make some free throws! I am sure that coach Frank Martin is not happy to have his team struggling to shoot just over 50 percent from the charity stripe this season. In fact, there have been several games this season in which the Wildcats did not even get to 50 percent!
• Tom Crean has worked so hard at Indiana. Santa, let him have a solid season and let the Hoosiers recruits live up to their hype in the future.
• Santa, please let Harrison Barnes of the Tar Heels have that breakthrough performance. We should see the real Mr. Barnes, the diaper dandy with such great expectations going into the season.
• We need to give Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim some frequent flier miles during November and December. Santa, get a travel agent to book the Orange on a couple of trips instead of staying in the New York-New Jersey area next year.
• Santa, please give South Florida some improved facilities so that the program can compete in the tough Big East.
• St. Nick, we need more coaches like Jay Wright, Bill Self and Tubby Smith -- guys who are the total package with personality, attitude and a winning mentality.
• Please give Bob Knight one more shot, Santa, one last hurrah on the sidelines. He is ready for another challenge and he can teach and motivate young people if given the opportunity.
• I would love to see a healthy Tracy Smith in the NC State lineup. He has been out after arthroscopic knee surgery in November, so Santa, give Sidney Lowe a break and get Smith back soon.
Finally, please give peace, love and happiness to all of the fans out there.
Merry Christmas to all!