|ESPN.com: Dick Vitale||[Print without images]|
Each week I'll write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• This is a time where players consider opting for the NBA draft. Some will sign with agents and end their college careers while others simply test the waters. Players like Pittsburgh's Ashton Gibbs, Tyler Honeycutt and Malcolm Lee of UCLA and Jordan Williams of Maryland threw their names in the ring. Others will be making decisions in the near future. I feel that if they are going to be a top pick, fine. Otherwise, they can gain more experience and better themselves on campus. They can get more practice time in college to hone their skills, plus they have time to enjoy that experience more than riding the pine in the pros.
• The coaching carousel and rumor mill continues to spin wildly. Georgia Tech made a solid hire by getting Brian Gregory of Dayton. Gregory and former Michigan State Mark Montgomery, now at Northern Illinois, are from the Tom Izzo coaching tree. That says a lot right there.
• Look out for Wichita State's Gregg Marshall to be on a hot list of potential coaches being sought out. Marshall has his Shockers in the NIT final. NC State is one school that reportedly had some interest.
• There is talk that Jim Calhoun will not announce his future plans until after the Final Four. This year's team has given him so much pleasure and enjoyment, but the wear and tear and health issues may have the Hall of Famer thinking about retirement, especially if he gets that third national championship. He does have a lot of talent scheduled to return. We will have to wait and see.
• I hope that Illinois forward Jereme Richmond can learn from his mistakes and develop into a major factor at Illinois. He was suspended for the team's two NCAA tournament game for a violation of team rules. Richmond has a lot of potential as I saw him play in person a few times this season. Hopefully he will mature and live up to his enormous potential.