Print and Go Back ESPN.com: Baseball [Print without images]

Sunday, April 3, 2011
Updated: April 4, 1:20 PM ET
Dodgers, Giants condemn beating

By Tony Jackson
ESPNLosAngeles.com

LOS ANGELES -- San Francisco Giants managing partner Bill Neukom and Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt issued a joint statement through the two clubs on Sunday, condemning an assault in the Dodger Stadium parking lot following Thursday's season opener between the teams.

"This attack is unconscionable behavior that will not be tolerated in either of our ballparks or in either of our cities,'' the statement read. "Once apprehended, the attackers will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Public safety is the top priority for all of us and even one act of random violence is unacceptable.

"Baseball is a family sport that has unified our country after times of crisis and tragedy. This senseless act of violence has no place in our society and certainly not in our national pastime. The Giants-Dodgers rivalry is one of the most storied in all of sports, dating back to when the teams played across town in New York City before their moves to California. This is a great rivalry between teams competing on the field of play. That's where it must stay."

The savage beating by two men outside Dodger Stadium left Giants fan Bryan Stow in a medically induced coma. The 42-year-old paramedic from Santa Cruz is in critical but stable condition. Two other men with Stow were able to escape the attackers.

Doctors at County-USC Medical Center put Stow in a coma to help manage his head injuries after the assault.

Police and hospital officials would not give information on his status Sunday, but Stow's paramedic partner told his hometown newspaper there had been no change in his condition.

"It's a waiting game," Rebecca Mackowiak, of San Jose, told the Santa Cruz Sentinel. "We have to wait until the swelling goes down in the brain. It looks like it will be a while until that happens."

No arrests have been announced or suspects named.

Los Angeles detectives have released sketches of the assailants, described as Latino men between ages 18 and 25. They said the men fled the scene in a four-door sedan driven by a woman, with a young boy inside.

Los Angeles County Supervisor Mike Antonovich has offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrests.

"We call on our respective citizens to stand together in honor of that rivalry as you have done throughout the years," the statement read. "Root hard for your teams, and do so with civility and common decency. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victim Bryan Stow and his family."

Los Angeles mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, San Francisco mayor Edwin M. Lee, San Francisco interim police chief Jeff Godown, and Los Angeles police chief Charlie Beck were also part of the group that issued the statement.

Southern California ballparks have seen violence in recent years. In April 2009, a man stabbed his friend in the Dodger Stadium parking lot after the team's home opener. Arthur Alvarez said he acted in self-defense and was acquitted by a jury.

Two months later at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, an off-duty police officer shot and wounded two men who assaulted him in the parking lot after a game.

Tony Jackson covers the Dodgers for ESPNLosAngeles.com. Follow him on Twitter. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.