|ESPN.com: Mixed Martial Arts||[Print without images]|
UFC president Dana White confirmed Saturday the promotion is considering pairing Aldo with undefeated prospect Chad Mendes at UFC 133 in August, although a deal has not been made official.
Earlier in the week, White had said there was a possibility former lightweight contender Kenny Florian, who also serves as an analyst on ESPN's "MMA Live," would get the next title shot. But Florian has a fight scheduled in June.
"Kenny Florian couldn't be ready by then," White said. "Chad Mendes is 10-0. He's undefeated. It makes sense."
Aldo (19-1) defended his UFC belt for the first time Saturday. Prior to that, the 24-year-old had defended the WEC title twice over Manny Gamburyan and Urijah Faber.
It was his first fight since dealing with a compacted spine injury he suffered late last year, which forced him off his originally scheduled UFC debut in January.
Mendes scored a unanimous decision win over Michihiro Omigawa in his first UFC appearance earlier this year at UFC 126 in Las Vegas. A member of the Sacramento-based Team Alpha Male, Mendes posted notable wins over Erik Koch, Cub Swanson and Javier Vazquez while in the WEC.
UFC 133 is scheduled for August 6 in Philadelphia and is headlined by a non-title light heavyweight bout between Rashad Evans and Phil Davis.Brett Okamoto covers mixed martial arts for ESPN.com.