Friday, May 27, 2011
Updated: May 28, 7:54 AM ET
David Wright OK with Fred Wilpon
By Ian Begley
Special to ESPNNewYork.com
NEW YORK -- At least someone thinks David Wright is a superstar.
Shortly after New York Mets owner Fred Wilpon's comments on Wright being a "good kid" but "not a superstar" were published in a magazine article, Wright received a message from his parents.
"My parents texted me and said that I was their superstar," Wright said with a laugh on Friday while publicly addressing Wilpon's comments for the first time.
Wilpon, sounding a lot like the team's frustrated fan base, disparaged the Mets' play in an article published in The New Yorker on Monday, calling the franchise "snakebitten," and taking aim at Wright and some of his high-profile teammates.
In the article, the owner called Wright, a five-time All-Star, "A really good kid. A very good player. Not a superstar."
Wright said Wilpon left Wright a message on his cellphone earlier this week apologizing for his remarks.
"He called to say that he misspoke," Wright said, "and that he appreciated the response and that he loves the team and the organization and he'd never do anything to try to embarrass us."
In return, Wright said he left Wilpon a message. He added that he would "love to close the book" on the controversy.
"Maybe for a different person it might have hurt their feelings but for me, I don't think it's that big of a deal," he said.
Wright, who has begun core-strengthening exercises to heal his fractured lower back, later added that Wilpon's comments will not affect what he does on the field.
"It's somebody's opinion. That's not the first negative thing that somebody's said about me and it's not going to be the last. I think to play in this market, you have to have thick skin. I feel like I have thick enough skin where I'm not going to let a comment affect a relationship or affect the way I go out there and play baseball," he said.
Wilpon also said in the article that Mets shortstop Jose Reyes won't get a contract similar to the $142 million, seven-year deal that the Boston Red Sox gave Carl Crawford last winter.
"He's had everything wrong with him," Wilpon said, refering to Reyes' history of injuries. "He won't get it."
Wilpon called Carlos Beltran "65 to 70 percent of what he was."
Wilpon initially reached out to both Reyes and Beltran from the speaker phone in manager Terry Collins' office to apologize before Tuesday night's game.
He did not speak to either player in person prior to Friday's game.
Reyes said he's put the issue behind him prior to the Mets' series opener against the Phillies.
"That's over," Reyes said. "It's history."
Ian Begley is a regular contributor to ESPNNewYork.com.