Tuesday, May 31, 2011
Updated: June 1, 4:33 PM ET
Source: Supplemental draft still planned
If any players from Ohio State decide to apply for the NFL's supplemental draft in the wake of Jim Tressel's resignation, they will have the chance to be drafted despite the lockout.
An NFL official on Tuesday told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the supplemental draft will be held sometime in July -- if there are applicants.
"So far, there have been no applicants," a league official told ESPN. The official said no deadline for applying for the draft has been set.
"If there is one, the supplemental draft would be held mid-to-late July, no later than 10 days before the first training camp opens," the official told ESPN.
Terrelle Pryor, perhaps the most high-profile possible entrant to the supplemental draft, is still undecided on his future.
Willie Burns, Pryor's godfather and legal guardian, told ESPN's Joe Schad Wednesday that the Ohio State quarterback "says no one minute and then he may go the next."
Forty players have been selected in the NFL supplemental draft since its inception in 1977. The draft is intended for players who missed the filing deadline for the NFL draft or had other issues develop that affected their college eligibility.
Teams submit picks to the league and if their bid is the highest, they receive the player but lose the corresponding draft pick in the next draft.
For example, in last year's supplemental draft, the Chicago Bears picked Brigham Young running back Harvey Unga and the Dallas Cowboys selected Illinois defensive end Josh Brent. Both players were selected in the seventh round, meaning the Bears and Cowboys forfeited their seventh-round picks in the 2011 NFL draft.
Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider. Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN.