|ESPN.com: Page 2||[Print without images]|
The Stanley Cup Finals get underway Wednesday in Vancouver, but the big hockey news Tuesday was up in Winnipeg, where the NHL is returning after a 15-year absence, because the Thrashers are moving there from Atlanta.
The new owners have said that the relocated franchise will no longer be called the Thrashers and that the new team name -- already a hot topic of discussion -- will be announced soon. But what about a new set of team colors? A logo? Uniforms?
If the history of the Gary Bettman era is any guide, there are two things we can count on: The team and the league will get all of these things wrong, and the average fan could probably do better.
So we're going to give you a chance to do just that.
That's right -- all readers are hereby invited to submit their best concepts for the Thrashers-no-more. Here are the specifics:
• Your entry must include a team name, a primary team logo, and home and road uniform designs. (If you like, you can also include secondary logos and alternate uniforms, but those aren't required.)
• Uniform and logo designs can be created in any digital or analog medium (Illustrator, Photoshop, crayon, Magic Marker, whatever) and can be submitted in any standard digital format (JPG, PDF, tiff, etc.).
• Please include your name and e-mail address somewhere within the image file.
• E-mail your entry here. If you have more than one concept, feel free to enter as many times as you like.
• Deadline: Wednesday, June 8.
All entries will be assessed by an omnipotent judging panel comprised of "Uni Watch" columnist Paul Lukas and Page 2 cartoonist Kurt Snibbe. In addition, Snibbe will submit his own concept, and readers will have an opportunity to vote on how the top reader-submitted entries stack up against Snibbe's.
A team's fate (and, potentially, Kurt Snibbe's pride) hangs in the balance. Get cracking on those submissions, pronto!