Print and Go Back ESPN.com: College Football [Print without images]

Saturday, August 27, 2011
Updated: August 28, 1:13 PM ET
Jacory Harris expects to play in opener

ESPN.com news services

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Seeming upbeat as usual, Miami quarterback Jacory Harris did not hesitate when asked about the fast-approaching start of the Hurricanes' season.

"I expect to play," Harris said. "Yes, sir."

The NCAA will decide soon if that becomes reality.

A person with knowledge of the investigation told ESPN.com's Heather Dinich that Harris is one of up to 13 players declared ineligible by the university after an investigation turned up some proof that former booster Nevin Shapiro provided extra benefits. The school has asked the NCAA if the ineligible players may be reinstated in time for the season-opener.

Harris and many other Miami players implicated by the extra-benefits scandal spoke out for the first time Saturday about the mess. None provided any specifics about the claims that Shapiro made to Yahoo! Sports, alleging that he provided extra benefits to Hurricane players and recruits from 2002-10.

But many, like Harris, expressed some sense of optimism that they may be cleared in time to play Sept. 5, when Miami opens at Maryland.

• "These people, they know what to do," defensive lineman Marcus Forston said.

• "I'm very hopeful," wide receiver Travis Benjamin said.

• "We know we're all we've got right now, this team," safety Ray Ray Armstrong said.

• "My spirits are high. I'm the same person. I'm not letting it affect me," linebacker Sean Spence said.

They are among 12 current players known to be under investigation by the university, and presumably the NCAA, for their involvement with Shapiro. A person with knowledge of the process has told The Associated Press that eight players -- Harris, Spence and Benjamin among them -- have been declared ineligible by the university, which then turned the matter over to the NCAA and asked that a reinstatement process be expedited.

In a letter to the editor published in Sunday's editions of The Miami Herald, Miami president Donna Shalala says she is "deeply troubled" by the scandal.

Shalala said the past two weeks "have been quite painful for me." She added that the NCAA is taking the lead in the joint investigation.

The school has confirmed that they asked the NCAA for rulings on Thursday. The school has not confirmed how many players are ineligible, nor any of the names involved. On Saturday, Miami coach Al Golden -- while not discussing any players specifically -- seemed to suggest much of the university's investigation revolves around incidents that happened long ago.

"I was sad for the guys, because I think we all as individuals, we hope to grow, we hope to mature, we hope to learn from mistakes," Golden said. "These guys are no different. If what has been alleged, if there ends up being some truth to it and they do have to serve some penalties, it's three years ago. So not only are they different than they were last year, now we have to go back three years. That's why I feel bad for them."

Besides Harris, Forston, Spence, Benjamin and Armstrong, the other current players who were named by Shapiro in the Yahoo! Sports article were Vaughn Telemaque, Aldarius Johnson, Olivier Vernon, Marcus Robinson, Adewale Ojomo, Dyron Dye and JoJo Nicholas.

Shalala said several days ago that the school was trying to determine the eligibility status of 15 student-athletes. She did not specify names or how many were football players.

"Sometimes life's not fair," Miami center Tyler Horn said. "But I'm not worried about it. I'm focused on what I can control, and that's football."

Independent of the scandal, this Miami camp began with one giant question: Would Harris or Stephen Morris play quarterback?

As of Saturday, if that's been decided, no one is letting the secret out.

Both played well at times last year, and Golden has said even during this camp that the two are alternating with the first-string. Offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch said Saturday that even he doesn't yet know who will start.

"I have no idea what coach Golden and his staff are going to be doing in terms of the depth chart," Morris said.

Added Harris: "We're just taking it day-by-day, going out there every day, giving it our all, having fun. Whatever the depth chart says come whenever we have to release it, I think by Tuesday, then that's what it is and that's what's going into Maryland."

Harris' teammates said Saturday they're impressed with the way he's handled the cloud hanging over his senior season.

"Jacory's Jacory," Morris said. "He's a happy guy all the time. Always smiling, always got a joke to say. He's just a great guy. ... All the situations that's going outside of this program, he's putting that behind him and is just focusing on football, focusing on this team."

Harris entertained questions for much of the allotted half-hour at the team's media day Saturday, doing so with typically the largest crowd of reporters gathered around him. He cracked a few one-liners, made fun of some teammates as they walked past, things he would have done under typical circumstances.

If he's frightened for his future, it wasn't showing.

"It's just a little bump in the road," Harris said. "It's something that we've got to get through. Whatever happens happens. At the end of the day, you've still got to weather the storm and fight through it. That's pretty much what we're doing as a team. We're going to fight through it and we're going to come out on top."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.