Sunday, October 16, 2011
Updated: October 17, 10:04 AM ET
Remembering Dan Wheldon
|Indy 500 winner Dan Wheldon died following a horrific crash while racing in Las Vegas.|
One of open-wheel racing's most popular drivers, Dan Wheldon, died Sunday during the IndyCar Series season finale at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Join other fans from SportsNation as we remember the two-time Indy 500 winner and 2005 IndyCar Series champion. Share your thoughts below.
- DizzyD427: "I watched his joy after winning the 500 ... unexpected and exuberant ... and now this. God speed Dan."
- kwnole77: "Dan Wheldon always carried himself with poise, respect, and class. I respect him as a driver and as a person. He will be missed, and my prayers go out to the Wheldon family. Racing lost a great driver and personality. If there's anything that be learned from this, it's that the cars could always be working to be safe along with the sport. But that they have made great improvements so far. Once again RIP Dan Wheldon and my condolences to his family."
- d_osborne31: "The sport lost a great rising star and a great person ... my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and Rest in Peace Dan."
- bloom05459: "It's a tragedy to lose a great racer and great human being. He will be missed. A risk all athletes especially racecar drivers face every day. We all do. It sucks to lose another great in the world of sports. You will be missed Dan."
- bentuibi: "Condolences to all involved. Sad to read of the drivers prior concerns about the speeds being reached at this speedway."
Racers respond to tragedy on Twitter
- Danica Patrick (@DanicaPatrick) There are no words for today. Myself and so many others are devastated. I pray for suzi and the kids that god will give them strength.
- Tomas Scheckter (@tomasscheckter) Lay in a dark room hope I wake up from the nightmare. This is not fair and not right it can't be true
- Scott Dixon (@scottdixon9) My dearest friend Danny boy. Thank you for everything! Your an amazing driver and man. I will miss you so badly. Luv ya mate
- Trevor Bayne (@Tbayne21) I'm sick at my stomach right now over Dan Wheldon. I just hung out w/ him a month ago and he was such an awesome guy w/ so much life in him
- Dario Franchitti (@dariofranchitti)
Rest in peace Danny boy, we'll miss you my friend. Everyone please keep the wheldon family in you thoughts and prayers.
- Michael Andretti (@michaelandretti) Huge loss to all of the racing world to lose a great friend and driver Dan Wheldon.. Our prayers are with suzie and there children. RIP Dan
- Jeff Gordon (@JeffGordonWeb) Spent a little time with Dan Wheldon several years ago in Paris for Race of Champions. Great guy, great driver. Will certainly b missed.
- Kyle Petty (@kylepetty) My prayers are with Dan Wheldons family, friends and team...my heart breaks all over again each and every time our sport loses someone...