Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Kyle Orton gets first-unit snaps
By Jeff Dickerson
LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Kansas City coach Todd Haley remains reluctant to officially name Kyle Orton the Chiefs' starter for Sunday's matchup at Soldier Field, but Orton will take roughly 40 percent of the first-team reps at practice Wednesday, with the other 60 percent of the snaps going to Tyler Palko.
Palko threw three interceptions last week in the Chiefs' 13-9 loss to Pittsburgh and overall has thrown six interceptions and zero touchdowns for a quarterback rating of 47.5.
"Tyler is our starter, [but] we have to get Kyle ready to play," Haley said on a conference call with the Chicago media. "He might have to play, he might not. That's the situation right now as we speak.
"The reps will go about 60-40. It's not like Kyle has been sitting around here for two years. We need him ready to go in any capacity."
Kansas City claimed Orton off waivers after the veteran was suddenly released last week by the Denver Broncos.
In 66 career starts, the former Bears quarterback has thrown for 13,753 yards, 79 touchdowns and 55 interceptions.
Jeff Dickerson covers the Bears for ESPNChicago.com.