Tuesday, December 6, 2011
Source: Bears don't want Brett Favre
It looks like fans won't have to get their brains around former Packers great Brett Favre playing for Da Bears. A high-ranking Bears source told ESPN's Ed Werder on Tuesday that the team has no interest in signing the 42-year-old quarterback.
ESPNChicago.com reported on Monday that Favre would listen if the Bears made a pitch. The team lost Jay Cutler to a broken hand and has lost the last two games with Caleb Hanie running the show.
The Bears hadn't contacted Favre, who has spent a good portion of his recent days hunting, and it wasn't clear whether the Bears could even lure Favre out of retirement. The source told ESPNChicago.com Favre would listen, but his answer could be that he'll stay retired. The source also said Favre has been working out and staying in shape.
Favre completed his 20th year with the Vikings last year and had arguably his worst season as a professional, going 5-8 as a starter with 11 touchdown passes and 19 interceptions.
On Monday, Bears coach Lovie Smith dismissed the idea on Monday of adding a new quarterback.
"That's our group," Smith said of the three quarterbacks on the Bears' roster. "We're going to make improvements with our group. We're not looking on the outside. We won't have a quarterback tryout or anything like that."
The Bears remain hopeful Cutler will return before the end of the regular season after undergoing surgery on his fractured right thumb, but Cutler said Thursday that he'll be smart about his return and may miss the rest of the season.
Speculation regarding a possible quarterback search comes in the aftermath of Chicago's 10-3 loss Sunday to the Chiefs. In addition to completing less than 50 percent of his passes for a passer rating of 23.8, Hanie threw three interceptions and has thrown six picks in his last two outings, coming off the club's five-game winning streak with Cutler behind center.
Information from ESPNChicago.com's Michael C. Wright was used in this report.