Print and Go Back ESPN.com: NFL [Print without images]

Wednesday, December 7, 2011
Martz says he plans to remain with Bears

Associated Press

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Mike Martz plans to return as the Chicago Bears' offensive coordinator next season.

He dismissed a report he will be gone after the season, saying Wednesday that he intends to be back.

"I'm bothered by that," he said. "Obviously, I plan on being back here and want to be here. I'm just going to assume it's going to work out. That's unfortunate, that's the only thing that I can tell you. It's just like college jobs and those things, we're focused on this job and what I'm doing. I'm very happy here. This is a terrific place and a terrific opportunity for me and I'm enjoying it. I really am, so those things we'll just kind of disregard if you will."

Martz reportedly turned down a one-year extension after last season and has an expiring contract. His name has been linked to head-coaching openings at UCLA and Arizona State as well as the Jacksonville Jaguars.

He said he talked to coach Lovie Smith about the speculation and appeared to be shaken by it. He said he didn't know where it was coming from, just that he wasn't happy about it.

"It's just unfortunate," he said. I'm bothered by that, really."

The Bears have more immediate concerns with back-to-back losses and stars Jay Cutler (broken thumb) and Matt Forte (sprained knee) out indefinitely with injuries.

Chicago had won five straight and was clicking on offense, after some blocking in the early going. It's been a different story the past two weeks without Cutler, and Forte's injury against Kansas City last week only made matters worse.