Thursday, February 2, 2012
Updated: February 3, 1:57 PM ET
Blake Griffin won't enter dunk contest
By Arash Markazi
LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin was voted as a starter to the NBA All-Star Game on Thursday, but said he doesn't plan on defending his slam dunk contest title during All-Star Weekend.
"As of right now I don't plan on being in it," Griffin said Thursday night. "Those dunk contests aren't my thing, I said that last year. There's a lot of guys that can put on a great show and do some good stuff."
Last year Griffin won the slam dunk contest, played in the Rookie Challenge and played in the All-Star Game during a whirlwind weekend in Los Angeles.
This year, Griffin, who will be a first-time starter, would like to simply enjoy the weekend and play in the Feb. 26 All-Star Game in Orlando.
"Last year was hectic and it kind of made it unenjoyable," Griffin said. "So this year, we'll see what will happen, but I will try to tone it down a bit and get a break instead of being so busy."
Clippers center DeAndre Jordan could take Griffin's place in the slam dunk contest, but Jordan said he has not been contacted by the league yet.
"He's got some stuff that people definitely want to see," Griffin said of Jordan.
If he were asked to participate in the slam dunk contest, Jordan said he would do it on one condition. "If I didn't have to go against Blake," he said.
Arash Markazi is a columnist and writer for ESPNLA.com.