|ESPN.com: Dick Vitale||[Print without images]|
• Jimmy V will be dancing up in heaven when his Wolfpack invade his favorite arena, Madison Square Garden. That's right, NC State will be in the Jimmy V Classic vs Connecticut. Mark down December 4th on the calendar as the doubleheader also has another Big East team, Georgetown, facing Texas. That is an impressive double dip.
• My best wishes go out to Hubert Davis, who decided to leave ESPN and join Roy Williams' staff at North Carolina. Davis took the spot vacated when Jared Haase left to become head coach at UAB. I have enjoyed working with Hubert and he is a class act. He will be in Chapel Hill more with his family now. I have been honored to get to know this ex-UNC star and he will be as great fit on Williams' staff. Davis is a winner in the game of life who will make a major impact in recruiting.
• The reports of the Indiana-Kentucky rivalry coming to an end for now are disappointing. The two coaches, John Calipari and Tom Crean, owe it to their fans to make it happen! There must be a fair solution to this situation. To set the record straight, both coaches are strong in their feelings of where the game should be played; I prefer on campus! Get it done Crean and Cal!
• Marquette coach Buzz Williams received some good news. The Golden Eagles landed transfer Trent Lockett from Arizona State. The guard is a double-figure scorer and an exciting player.
• I was sorry to hear the NCAA decided to deny Tim Abromaitis of Notre Dame a sixth year of eligibility. If there is ever a kid that deserved extra year it is Abromaitis. He represents the term student-athlete in every way! Mike Brey would have loved to have him back as the Irish have a solid nucleus.
• The Big 12 hired Bob Bowlsby as its new commissioner. He has a world of experience in college athletics, having served as athletic director at Iowa and Stanford.
• You need a scorecard to keep track of all of these moves with conference re-alignment. Utah State and San Jose State are joining the Mountain West. University of North Carolina at Charlotte (Charlotte), Florida International University (FIU), Louisiana Tech University, the University of North Texas and the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) have finalized membership agreements with Conference USA. Wow, this is out of control figuring all of this out.