|ESPN.com: Baseball||[Print without images]|
Outfielder Cody Ross, whose first season with the Boston Red Sox has been one of the few positives for the team this season, said he is in talks with the team about coming back in 2013.
"I'm a free agent at the end of this season," Ross wrote in a diary entry for ESPNBoston.com. "There are talks going on with the Red Sox. We're in the beginning stages of talking. Hopefully we can get something done. Obviously, I want to come back here and be a part of this team."
Ross, who signed a one-year, $3 million contract with the Red Sox last offseason, is batting .270 with 21 home runs, 77 RBIs and an .824 OPS in 122 games. He had the go-ahead RBI double in the eighth inning of Boston's 2-1 win over the Orioles on Sunday.
A source told ESPNBoston's Gordon Edes last month that the Red Sox had told Ross they'd like to bring him back. Ross, 31, has proven well suited for Fenway Park and has stayed above the fray in a tumultuous season in Boston. He is expected to seek at least a three-year deal from the Red Sox.