Print and Go Back College Football [Print without images]

Saturday, September 29, 2012
Stony Brook's Maysonet runs over Army in 23-3 win

Associated Press

WEST POINT, N.Y. -- Put any talk of a winning season maybe capped by a bowl appearance on hold for now. Army simply needs to win a game.

With a visit by Boston College looming next week, Army fell 23-3 in its first meeting with Stony Brook on Saturday, falling victim to the Seawolves in their landmark first victory over a Football Bowl Subdivision school.

Hurt by four lost fumbles -- they have 13 through four games -- the Black Knights fell to 0-4 for the first time since 2008, also the last time it lost to an Football Championship Series school, New Hampshire.

The Black Knights dropped to 51-11-1 all-time against the FCS despite one bright spot: senior quarterback Trent Steelman's team-high 89 rushing yards gave him the school's all-time running record for quarterbacks with 2,362.

"I'm so frustrated as a coach," Army's Rich Ellerson said. "I'm not getting them to the edge. I'm not getting them to play with their hair on fire. I'm not getting them to do the things that are consistent with winning."

Senior Miguel Maysonet rushed for a career-high 220 yards and two touchdowns for Stony Brook.

"I'm just excited for us to be able to say that we were the first team to do that in Stony Brook history," Maysonet said.

Kyle Essington finished 11-for-15 passing for 151 yards for the Seawolves (4-1, 0-0 Big South), and Kevin Norrell had 95 receiving.

Stony Brook held Army to a three-and-out on the game's first series and marched 74 yards on four plays, including Maysonet's 49-yard touchdown run.

"It was huge for us," Maysonet said. "It showed that we can come out there and compete with them."

The Black Knights entered the game as the nation's leading rushing team, averaging 399 yards, but were held to 273 yards on the ground. They lost their eighth straight dating bac to last season.

"It's rewarding," Seawolves coach Chuck Priore said.

The Black Knights finished with 57 yards passing, but 33 came on one play during a fruitless drive.

Stony Brook's Wesley Skiffington converted all three of his field goal attempts, including a 44-yarder as the first half expired.

"Our kids come every Sunday, put last week in the bank, and we look to write another check for the next week," Priore said. "We're not too excited to play any game. We're just ready to play every game."

Army fell to 1-14 since 2009 when trailing at the half. It has lost six in a row when held under 21 points.

"We just can't put the ball on the floor," Army running back Malcom Brown said. "We practice that every day."

Army was marching downfield after Stony Brook's early score when Larry Dixon lost a fumble, negating what would have been a 15-yard gain. Davonte Anderson, a 2010 West Point transfer, recovered on the Seawolves' 31.

The Black Knights promptly returned the favor when Nate Combs sacked Essington, jarring the ball loose. Richard Glover recovered, giving the Army a first down at the Seawolves' 49.

Army came into the game 6 for 13 on fourth down conversions, and decided to go for it after reaching fourth-and-one from the Seawolves' four. Steelman broke back to the middle on the quarterback keeper, where he was stuffed by Dan Mulrooney for no gain.

"The key point is just running into the wall," Mulrooney said. "I was fortunate enough to escape the block and make the play in the backfield, and I think that was a big moment."

Halfway through the second quarter, Army finally had a chance to score when Steelman connected on a rare pass with Patrick Laird for a 33-yard gain to get into the Stony Brook zone.

Army kept pushing to the eight, but Steelman gaved up an unforced fumble on second-and-goal -- Army's third lost fumble of the half. Mulrooney again came up with the recovery.

"They shot themselves in the foot a little bit with fumbles," Mulrooney said. "We made the plays at the right time."

With less than two minutes to go in the half, Essington found an open Norrell down the left side for a 39-yard pickup. The combo connected for a 17-yard gain two plays later, getting close enough for Skiffington to boot a 44-yard field goal as time expired, giving Stony Brook a 13-0 halftime edge.

Stony Brook showed no letup in the third, opening the second half with a 16-play, 75-yard drive that chewed up 8:23. Maysonet capped the series with his second touchdown, skipping in from a yard out.

Stony Brook went up 20-0 with 6:37 to go in the third.

Army finally scored when Daniel Grochowski kicked a 39-yard field goal to cut it to 20-3 with 2:35 remaining in the third. "It's pretty frustrating, I'm not going to lie," Combs said.