Tuesday, October 9, 2012
??AP Pro32 ballot from Gosselin??
Ballot and comments from AP Pro 32 panel voter Rick Gosselin of Dallas Morning News:
RICK GOSSELIN (Dallas Morning News)
1. Houston Texans -- End J.J. Watt is a front-runner for NFL Defensive Player of the Year with his AFC-leading 81/2 sacks.
2. Atlanta Falcons -- The Falcons are 5-0 with a league-high three road victories.
3. Baltimore Ravens -- The Ravens are the most penalized team in the AFC with 42 for 363 yards.
4. San Francisco 49ers -- QB Alex Smith has been turnover-free in the 49ers' four victories. He committed two turnovers in the only loss to Minnesota.
5. Chicago Bears -- The defenses of Buffalo and Detroit led the NFL with five interceptions for touchdowns in 2011. The Bears already have five such TDs through five weeks this season.
6. Minnesota Vikings -- The Black & Blue division has three defenses in the top 10 -- Bears at 6, Vikings at 7 and Lions at 9.
7. Arizona Cardinals -- QB Kevin Kolb has been sacked 17 times in the last two weeks -- eight by Miami and nine by St. Louis.
8. New England Patriots -- The Patriots rank a surprising third in the NFL in rushing and lead the league with four individual 100-yard games, including three by Stevan Ridley.
9. New York Giants -- The Giants have recovered a league-leading three fumbles on special teams.
10. San Diego Chargers -- QB Philip Rivers has yet to throw for 300 yards in a game yet this season.
11. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Will Troy Polamalu ever play a full 16-game season again? His hits are too big for his body.
12. Philadelphia Eagles -- QB Michael Vick has thrown six interceptions and lost five fumbles.
13. Cincinnati Bengals -- Andy Dalton is the NFL's best fourth-quarter quarterback with a 127.7 passer rating, five TDs and only one interception.
14. St. Louis Rams -- Who'd have guessed the Rams would have a better record after five games than Denver, Green Bay and New Orleans? Jeff Fisher has the Rams playing some D.
15. Seattle Seahawks -- The Seahawks are surviving with a rookie quarterback thanks to the NFL's top-ranked defense.
16. Green Bay Packers -- Incredibly, the Packers do not have an individual 100-yard receiver yet this season.
17. Dallas Cowboys -- The Cowboys return from their bye to visit Baltimore. They are among the NFL's best coming off byes with a 16-7 record.
18. Indianapolis Colts -- Rookie QB Andrew Luck has passed for 300-plus yards in three of his first four NFL starts.
19. Denver Broncos -- Peyton Manning has passed for three consecutive 300-yard games with eight TDs and no interceptions -- yet the Broncos won only one of those games.
20. Miami Dolphins -- The Dolphins lead the NFL in run defense, allowing an average of only 61.4 yards per game and 2.7 yards per carry.
21. Washington Redskins -- The Redskins have allowed an NFL-high six individual 100-yard receiving games.
22. New York Jets -- No Darrelle Revis, no Santonio Holmes, no chance for the Jets this season.
23. Buffalo Bills -- With Mario Williams, Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams up front, the Bills should be better than 30th against the run. Much better, in fact.
24. Detroit Lions -- The struggling Lions play four of the next five on the road, starting Sunday with the Eagles.
25. New Orleans Saints -- Now that the Saints have finally won they have to stop playing. New Orleans has its bye this week along with Carolina, Chicago and Jacksonville.
26. Oakland Raiders -- The Raiders are coming off their bye, but have not responded to the extra rest in the past. They are 9-14 coming off byes.
27. Kansas City Chiefs -- The 1-4 Chiefs are one of only three teams to rank in the top 10 in both offense and defense along with Detroit and San Francisco.
28. Carolina Panthers -- The Panthers need more from QB Cam Newton than four touchdowns passing and two rushing. His negatives -- five interceptions and two fumbles -- offset his few positives.
29. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- The Bucs have back-to-back home games coming off their bye against Kansas City and New Orleans. Tampa Bay is 10-13 coming off bye weeks.
30. Jacksonville Jaguars -- The Jaguars have scored only six touchdowns in five games. The 49ers scored six touchdowns last Sunday.
31. Tennessee Titans -- Opposing quarterbacks are completing almost 75 percent of their passes against the Titans. That's not a recipe for success in a passing league.
32. Cleveland Browns -- Kicker Phil Dawson is the one trustworthy element on the winless Browns. He's been successful all 20 times he has kicked for points -- 10 field goals and 10 conversion kicks.
http://pro32.ap.org/poll and http://twitter.com/AP-NFL