Monday, October 15, 2012
Labor talks to resume Tuesday
By Pierre LeBrun
Labor talks between the NHL and the locked-out players' association will resume Tuesday in Toronto, league deputy commissioner Bill Daly told ESPN.com on Monday.
Both the NHL and the NHLPA also told ESPN.com that the four key figures in the negotiations -- league commissioner Gary Bettman, Daly and union bosses Donald Fehr and Steve Fehr -- plan to attend Tuesday's meeting.
The two sides met Wednesday and Thursday in New York, focusing again on secondary issues and avoiding the more troublesome core economic discussion.
The lockout turned a month old Monday, the same day NHL players would have received their first league paychecks of the season -- had there been hockey.
The lockout already has wiped out the entire preseason and the first five days of the regular season. A deal will have to be struck soon to prevent more cancellations and provide an opportunity to make up the lost games and have a full 82-game season.
Daly estimated the NHL lost $100 million from the cancellation of the entire preseason and would be out another $140 million to $150 million with the regular-season losses.
The NHL still says it is waiting for a new proposal from the union, with the owners adamant that players accept a significant drop from the 57 percent of revenue they received under the salary cap in the last contract. The players don't want what they consider more massive cuts at a time when the overall revenue pot reached record numbers ($3.3 billion) last year.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.