|ESPN.com: Dick Vitale||[Print without images]|
• It is my belief that it is time to change the transfer rule in college basketball. If a coach agrees that a player is ok to transfer, that young man should be eligible to play right away. Just my opinion, baby!
• Preseason picks excite alumni and fans, but it is postseason rankings that count. People care if their school is in the big dance. For now, there is enthusiasm going into the season because nobody has an L yet!
• Duke received some tough news when Marshall Plumlee was sidelined with a foot injury. He is expected to miss 6-8 weeks, which is a lot of prep time going into the season. That would have been a good time to learn about his teammates by practicing on the court.
• It has been a tough off-season for the Billikens of Saint Louis. First it was coach Rick Majerus' health issues. Majerus will sit out this season as Jim Crews takes over on the sidelines. Now its best player is out for the start of the season. Senior point guard Kwamain Mitchell underwent successful surgery to repair a fracture in his left foot. Picked on the All-Atlantic 10 preseason first team, Mitchell averaged 12.4 PPG last season. The Billikens were tabbed second in the conference preseason poll behind St. Joseph's.
• Oklahoma State suffered a setback when swingman Brian Williams had wrist surgery. He is likely to miss the entire season, hurting the depth of Travis Ford's club.
• UCLA already lost Tyler Lamb for a month due to arthroscopic knee surgery. Now junior forward David Wear suffered a sprained right ankle during a recent practice. He will have X-rays to determine the status of the injury.
• I am thrilled that the Big East and Madison Square Garden agreed to a new deal to keep the conference tournament there. Madison Square Garden has been the home of the Big East championship since 1983. It is the longest running conference tournament at the same site in college basketball.