|ESPN.com: Sprint Cup||[Print without images]|
|Reigning Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski met with NASCAR officials over recent comments to the media.|
He also was fined $25,000 for tweeting during a red flag stoppage last year at Phoenix, defying a request by NASCAR that drivers don't carry cell phones inside their cars after he tweeted during a stoppage in the 2012 Daytona 500. "Brad has been asking for more dialogue with Brian,'' Jewkes said. "He wants to be a leader in the garage. Frankly, Brian wants more dialogue with him. [Friday], there was a good reason to have dialogue.'' Tony Stewart predicted this might happen. The three-time champion said during last year's banquet that Keselowski hasn't learned to be cautious and encouraged people to let him be himself. "Hopefully, that won't bite him like it has a lot of drivers in the past,'' Stewart said of Keselowski being outspoken. "It's refreshing. It's nice to see somebody who just speaks from the heart and isn't guarded, and that's the way all of us should be. "I think that's what the fans want to hear. But I'm so scared that at some point, somebody is going to turn on him, and it goes downhill from there." Four-time champion Jeff Gordon said he could see NASCAR wanting Keselowski to be more informed. "It's not out of the ordinary for a new champion to feel confident to be able to express an opinion on things,'' he said. "Brad cares a lot about the sport. He's not trying to do anything that would hurt the sport. When you're that open, it doesn't surprise me NASCAR is wanting to talk about it.'' Jewkes made it clear the meeting was not to discourage Keselowski from speaking his mind. "The most important thing is Brian wants him to be candid,'' Jewkes said of Keselowski. "He wants him to speak his mind. But we all prefer he be up to speed on everything.''