Monday, February 25, 2013
Carmelo Anthony won't be suspended
By Ian Begley
GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Carmelo Anthony will not face a suspension for his dustup with Philadelphia big man Spencer Hawes on Sunday night, according to a league source.
In the third quarter of the Knicks-76ers game, Anthony hit Hawes in the back of the head as the two were fighting for position on a rebound. Hawes angrily approached Anthony but was pushed away by Tyson Chandler.
Both Hawes and Chandler received double technicals and Anthony, in addition, was called for a flagrant foul. He said after the game that Hawes had elbowed him prior to the incident.
The league, according to a source, reviewed the matter but has decided against suspending Anthony, who has been in the middle of several skirmishes -- both with officials and opponents -- this season.
Anthony was ejected for getting two technicals in the Knicks' loss to Chicago in December (one technical was later rescinded) and was suspended one game for going after Kevin Garnett in the bowels of Madison Square Garden after a loss to the Celtics last month.
After Sunday night's game, Mike Woodson said he'd like to see his star curtail his outbursts.
"He's just got to control his emotions," Woodson said. "Melo is a physical player and he likes contact, which is great. He doesn't back away from contact. We had the altercation and we were able to pull away from it. No punches were thrown. They assessed the technicals and the flagrants the way they saw it and we moved on."