Friday, March 1, 2013
Riccardo Ricco 12-year ban upheld
LAUSANNE, Switzerland -- Italian cyclist Riccardo Ricco has lost his appeal against a 12-year ban for blood doping.
The Court of Arbitration for Sport says it dismissed Ricco's appeal against the ban imposed by the Italian Olympic Committee's anti-doping body.
CAS says arbitrator Ulrich Haas "considered that the arguments of the rider were unfounded."
Haas ruled that Ricco "failed to demonstrate a lack of impartiality" by the Italian tribunal.
CAS says Ricco "had to be admitted to hospital urgently after he transfused his own blood" in February 2011.
The ban runs until April 2024.
Ricco was previously banned for doping at the 2008 Tour de France.