|ESPN.com: Boxing||[Print without images]|
GUADALAJARA, Mexico -- Ulises "Archie" Solis stepped into the ring on Saturday with the intention of defeating Edgar Sosa for the third straight time in order to earn a mandatory shot at a flyweight title. But 12 years after their first fight, his results were quite different.
Solis (35-3-3, 22 KOs) was stopped in the second round by Sosa, who previously had dropped a majority decision (2003) and a split decision (2001) to his Mexican countryman. The outcome surprised even Solis.
"I thought I had a longer fight ahead of me," Sosa said.
After a first round in which the fighters mostly studied each other, a straight left hand to the chin dropped Solis at the 2:19 mark of the second round, abruptly ending the fight.
"This fight showed that I wasn't ready to fight, that I do this because I have no one to support me, and I have to support my wife and kids," said Solis, who has insisted that he was attacked by junior middleweight titlist Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in a street brawl.
"I'm not well, I have side effects on an eye injury, I have double vision. As a matter of fact, I'm seeing double right now. That shot wasn't enough to knock me out; I have been hit harder and nothing has happened before. But it's also due to my inactivity after being assaulted by that coward [Canelo]."
Solis said that although he hasn't yet decided his future, he will not retire.
Meanwhile, Sosa (48-7, 29 KOs) enjoyed his moment of glory.
"I'm on my way to being champion of the world," Sosa said.