Wednesday, April 3, 2013
Updated: April 4, 12:35 PM ET
Cano: Move was a 'family decision'
By Andrew Marchand
NEW YORK -- In announcing his move from Scott Boras to a newly formed group headed by Jay-Z and CAA, Robinson Cano said in a statement that he wanted to take more of an "active role in his endeavors on and off the field."
When asked Wednesday to further expand on his high-profile move, Cano was reticent.
"Right now, my focus is on playing baseball," said Cano, who is eligible to become a free agent.
Cano declined to say why he made the move. He wouldn't say if this means there is a better chance he could remain with the Yankees because CAA's history has been to do contracts prior to free agency.
"I don't want to go into detail," Cano said.
In the less-than-four-minute interview, Cano said he didn't want to go into detail four times.
Cano only said he made a "family decision" in switching from Boras to join Jay-Z and CAA's new agency. He said he has known Jay-Z since his rookie year in 2005 and the deal came together over the past weekend.
"A lot of people said good decision," Cano, 30, said.
Cano hasn't personally informed Boras of the split. Boras had been Cano's agent for the past two years. On Tuesday night, Boras told ESPNNewYork.com that Cano signed a player-agent agreement on March 20.
At that time, Cano expressed no dissatisfaction with the progress or nature of the negotiations with the Yankees.
"No issues," Boras said.
Cano was evasive when asked if he would eventually talk with Boras.
"No answer on that one," Cano said. "How's that?"
On Wednesday night, Boras confirmed a CBS Sports report that he had flown to New York to try to meet with Cano. The talks between Boras and the Yankees had been dormant the past few weeks after Cano and Boras rejected what was described by Yankees general manager Brian Cashman as a "significant offer."
A source said Tuesday that Boras and top Yankees executives expected to resume talks soon.
Under the terms of the representation contract that Cano signed with Boras, Cano is allowed to change agents, but the percentage associated with the deal would be under dispute.
Cano did not go into detail who was involved in the "family decision," but he is very close with his father, Jose, a former major league pitcher.
A month ago, prior to the World Baseball Classic, Cano's father expressed his desire that Cano would stay a Yankee.
"I wish he can be here forever," Cano's father said at the Yankees' complex in Tampa. "I don't think he will feel comfortable [on another team.]"
While Jay-Z, a lifelong Yankee fan, will be involved in the talks, CAA's Brodie Van Wagenen will be directly negotiating with Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner, team president Randy Levine and Cashman.
"I think that every situation is unique and our process is to outline a strategy that helps the client achieve his goals, not ours," Van Wagenen told ESPNNewYork.com Tuesday. "We will certainly do the same for Robinson as we have done for other players in the past. Where that leads, certainly time will tell."
Cano seemed as if he did not like all the attention paid to his move to Jay-Z.
"I don't want to go into details," Cano said. "I feel happy with the company, and right now I just want to focus on baseball. This is what I do best. I don't think it's going to be a distraction. Because this is the last time I want to talk about this, because I just want to focus on playing baseball."
Cano is in the final season of a six-year, $57 million deal, which he signed when he was represented by Bobby Barad.