|ESPN.com: Boxing||[Print without images]|
Miguel Cotto, the Puerto Rican superstar and former three-division titleholder, is planning on a fall return.
The target date for his return is Sept. 28, at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., which would be a big deal. For years, Cotto has been a mainstay of Barclays Center competitor Madison Square Garden, where he has fought eight times since 2005 while becoming the biggest attraction in New York in years.
Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer, who doesn't have a promotional deal with Cotto but has promoted his last two fights and is close to his team, told ESPN.com on Tuesday that he is holding the Barclays Center on that date for his next fight. Golden Boy has a deal with Barclays Center as its exclusive promoter for boxing events.
Schaefer emphasized that nothing had been finalized with regard to a Cotto fight, including an opponent.
"Nothing set. We are holding a date (at Barclays Center), that's all," Schaefer said.
However, it's clear that Cotto (37-4, 30 KOs), 32, intends to fight on in the wake of back-to-back losses and many physically grueling fights.
In December 2011, Cotto exacted revenge on Antonio Margarito by battering his bad eye for a 10th-round TKO in a junior middleweight title defense at Madison Square Garden. But Cotto lost his next two fights.
Last May, he lost his 154-pound title to Floyd Mayweather Jr. by unanimous decision at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Cotto gave Mayweather one of the toughest fights of his career, but was routed on the scorecards. In December, he challenged Austin Trout for his version of the junior middleweight title but lost another clear decision, the only time Cotto has lost at Madison Square Garden.