|ESPN.com: Reilly, Rick||[Print without images]|
|Ladies and gentlemen, now on the first tee, the all-time bad hair threesome pairing of Rory McIlroy, John Daly and Miguel Angel Jimenez.|
My daughter always had fun with tea time. I always have fun with tee times, especially at the U.S. Open, when the USGA comes out with a few clever threesomes and begs us to guess how they're linked.
Last year, it grouped K.J. Choi, K.T. Kim and Y.E. Yang (which got an initial laugh); Adam Scott, Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson (long-putter addicts), and Stewart Cink, Trevor Immelman and Lucas Glover (out-of-the-blue major winners).
For this year at Merion, the USGA matched up Rickie Fowler, Matteo Manassero, Jason Day (young heartthrobs); Bubba Watson, Dustin Johnson and Nicolas Colsaerts (a veritable long-drive contest); and Jim Furyk, Zach Johnson, Graeme McDowell (marshmallow drivers).
But why stop there? What about some tee times for all time? Your job is to guess what each threesome has in common. (Click on the word "Answer" to solve the riddle.)
If you get them all, we switch jobs.
1. John Daly, Hal Sutton, Greg Norman | Answer
2. David Duval, Al Geiberger, Chip Beck | Answer
3. Tom Lehman, Phil Mickelson, Colin Montgomerie | Answer
|Jack Nicklaus qualifies for any number of thematic threesomes at the U.S. Open. Guys with great hair, for example.|
5. Phil Mickelson, Scott Verplank, Gene Littler | Answer
6. Jack Fleck, Scott Simpson, Geoff Ogilvy | Answer
7. Pat Perez, Tommy Bolt, Steve Pate | Answer
8. Doug Sanders, Stewart Cink, Hale Irwin | Answer
9. Larry Mize, Birdie Kim, Bob Tway | Answer
10. Ed Sneed, Greg Norman, Rory McIlroy | Answer
11. Craig Stadler, Jack Nicklaus, Colin Montgomerie | Answer
12. Hubert Green, Johnny Miller, Jack Nicklaus | Answer
13. Gene Sarazen, Corey Pavin, Ian Woosnam | Answer
14. Tom Weiskopf, Nick Faldo, George Archer | Answer
15. Ed Fiori, Y.E. Yang, Thomas Bjorn | Answer
16. Jim Furyk, Kenny Perry, Ray Floyd | Answer
17. Ben Hogan, Jean Van De Velde, Tom Lehman | Answer
18. Tommy Nakajima, Thomas Bjorn, Dustin Johnson | Answer
19. John Daly, Ben Hogan, Fuzzy Zoeller | Answer
20. Craig Stadler, Camilo Villegas, Paul Azinger | Answer
21. Vijay Singh, Gary Player, Mark McCumber | Answer
22. Bobby Clampett, Ty Tryon, Michelle Wie | Answer
23. Jesper Parnevik, Mac O'Grady, Billy Casper | Answer
24. Julius Boros, Mark Calcavecchia, Brandt Snedeker | Answer
25. Glen Day, Kevin Na, Guan Tianlang | Answer
26. David Feherty, Brandel Chamblee, Peter Oosterhuis | Answer
27. Bruce Crampton, Tommy Aaron, J.C. Snead | Answer
28. Vijay Singh, Tom Kite, Hale Irwin | Answer
29. Lee Westwood, Harry (Light Horse) Cooper, Colin Montgomerie | Answer
30. Tiger Woods, Fred Couples, Dustin Johnson | Answer
1. All have been married at least three times.
2. Shot 59.
3. Famous U.S. Open bridesmaids.
4. Insulted Tiger and paid for it.
5. Amateurs who won pro tournaments.
6. Killjoy U.S. Open winners. (Should've been Ben Hogan at Olympic in 1955; Tom Watson at Olympic in 1987; Mickelson at Winged Foot in 2006.)
7. Club flingers.
8. Missed tiny putts to blow a major.
9. Won majors with chip-ins.
10. Masters chokers.
11. Played great fat.
12. Played great skinny.
13. Won majors while short.
14. Won majors while tall.
15. Reeled in Tiger from behind on Sunday.
16. Great players, awful swings.
17. Drowned a major in a water hazard. (Hogan: 71st hole at 1960 U.S. Open at Cherry Hills; Van de Velde: 72nd hole at 1999 British Open at Carnoustie; Lehman: 71st hole at 1997 U.S. Open at Congressional.)
18. Buried a major in a bunker. (Nakajima: 53rd hole at 1978 British Open at St. Andrews; Bjorn: 70th hole at 2003 British Open at St. George's; Johnson: 72nd hole at 2010 PGA at Whistling Straits.)
19. Smoked while playing.
20. Lost tournaments thanks to TV snitches. (Stadler used a towel to build a stance at the 1987 Andy Williams Open in San Diego; Villegas moved loose impediments while the ball was rolling at the 2011 Hyundai in Kapalua; Azinger kicked loose impediments out of his way in a water hazard at the 1991 Doral Open.)
21. Accused of cheating.
22. Hot as teens, lukewarm as adults.
23. Fabulous flakes. (Parnevik ate volcanic ash; O'Grady once tried to qualify for a two-man event by playing both right- and left-handed; Casper ate rabbit, hippo and moose and couldn't sit on foam rubber couches.)
24. Famously fast.
25. Famously slow.
26. Better talking about it than playing it.
27. Famous grouches.
28. Major winners who wore glasses.
29. Best players never to win a major. (Westwood has won 39 worldwide events, Cooper 36, Montgomerie 40.)
30. All have had Joe LaCava as their caddie.